Orbit set itself a number of ambitious targets to reach before 2020. These were to:
- Deliver 12,000 new homes
- Provide a full range of home rental and ownership options
- Provide a flexible housing ‘journey’ for customers
- Provide 10,000 training and capacity building activities to support empowerment, opportunity and jobs
- Deliver £30m of investment into communities, including external funding
- Achieve a minimum energy rating of Band C in our homes
- Have 75% of customers contacts online
- Provide a range of tailored services which satisfy 90% of customers
- Provide financial and energy efficiency advice to 20,000 people
On the 1 October 2007 Thanet Community Housing Association, Orbit Housing Association (in the South) and Orbit Bexley Housing Association joined together under the name Orbit South Housing Association Ltd to form one of the largest housing associations in the South of England.
“Having worked here some years ago, I recognised the potential we have to not become not only a leading provider of social housing but also an organisation that strives for continuous improvement, innovation and excellence. We have a valuable contribution to make towards the work of our sector. I see our role as an enabler – to enable individuals and communities to make a difference to their lives.” – Paul Tennant
Orbit Care & Repair, launched in 1986, covers Coventry and Suffolk and aims to help people over the age of 60 improve, repair or adapt their home to make sure it is a safe and comfortable place to live.
Services offered include repairs and adaptations, a handy person service, home safety advice, housing options and assisted technology.
“Our aim was to provide accommodation for people who could not afford to buy their own homes. We were just a small group of professional men with knowledge and expertise in the development of properties.” – Jim Lord, member of the first Orbit Management Committee and one of the founders of the Orbit Housing Co-Ownership Society.